Cavelero News

The Student News Site of Cavelero Mid High School

Cavelero News

Cavelero News

Taking in the View

Taking in the View

Taking In the View

In a world of increasingly powerful technology, quick transportation, large population centers, social media, and long hours spent at school and work, being and staying happy becomes increasingly harder and harder to accomplish. We spend so much time at school or work, or in cars, at home, in a constant tedium of the same things, the same day, the same weather, the same views. We see the same things over and over again every day, and I don’t believe that is good for our mental health. 

So, go outside, drive somewhere, walk somewhere, whatever means of transportation you want to use, go somewhere scenic, and then stop. Press pause on your life for a little bit, go there and think. You might be bored, but that’s okay. Don’t pull out your phone, don’t start scrolling through social media, don’t work on something that you think you need to. You just need to sit there, and let your mind wander. If you do that, your mind may find a way to solve your problems. You may find that some of your problems are really meaningless. However, you will definitely realize the benefits of getting outside and simply thinking.

Aside from my opinions, there are also proven health benefits to getting outside. According to an article from UCDavis, getting outside has been associated with lower levels of stress, reduced anxiety and depression symptoms, and improved cognitive ability. The same article also states that being outside may push you to do more physical activities, as well as being linked to better cardiovascular health and reduced risk of heart attacks. Getting outside can also help balance your cortisol levels. 

Modern life is full of constant tedium and distractions, from work or school, to social media, to not changing your schedule. The solution is to go to the most scenic local place, look at the view, and think on your problems. You’ll come to better solutions without the constant stimulation of modern life. The view may inspire you to create something better. It may inspire you to go out in nature more. You’ll experience the proven health benefits linked with being in nature. Being outside and just sitting and thinking will also help your mental health and will make you happier. So, go to a place you really love, just sit there, don’t scroll through social media, and don’t stimulate yourself artificially.