Cavelero News

The Student News Site of Cavelero Mid High School

Cavelero News

Cavelero News

Spreading Holiday Cheer

This holiday season, Cavelero student Charli Wilkins and I worked to bring not only joy to our loved ones homes, but also cookies. On December 1st, more than two dozen sugar cookies were baked, decorated, and brought to the homes of students Charli Wilkins and Theo Trinh. Flour was spilled, cookies were broken, and way too many sprinkles were used, but it was eventually all worth it in the name of holiday cheer.

• December 1st, 2023, 3:17 PM – 29 sugar cookies shaped, baked, and cooled for the sole purpose of later decoration and even later distribution. To ensure the icing and sprinkle decorations don’t melt off the cookies, they have to cool for an hour or so.

• December 1st, 2023, 5:00 PM – Cavelero student Charli Wilkins joins me to assist with the decorating and delivering of the cookies, not knowing that she herself would also be receiving a plate of the treats herself before the end of the night. Pictured here is Charli mixing food coloring into icing to make the cookies additionally festive.

• December 1st, 2023, 5:32 PM – Overwhelmed with concentration, Charli meticulously shakes sprinkles onto one of the many decorated cookies, the one in photo being a tree. By now, only half the cookies have been decorated and most of the sprinkles are gone, due to what I’m sure is unrelated to Charli’s love for the sugary confections.

• December 1st, 2023, 6:44 PM – All of the cookies being fully decorated, we make our first stop at Cavelero student Theo Trinh’s house where we are greeted by his dog, Gigi, who definitely does not enjoy our spur of the moment drop in. After giving the plate of cookies, Charli and I bid Theo a good night and head back to my house.

• December 1st, 2023, 10:27 PM – Following the many hours spent dealing with cookies, it’s safe to say Charli and I got a little sick of them. After she went home for dinner, I popped by with a plate of her own, as a thank you for helping me bake and decorate, and also a nod to the purpose of the cookies, which was to spread holiday cheer.