Cavelero News

The Student News Site of Cavelero Mid High School

Cavelero News

Cavelero News

The Baltimore Bridge Collapse

Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images
The Francis Scott Key Bridge collapses after the cargo ship Dalik ran into it.

The Baltimore Bridge in Baltimore, Maryland collapsed on March 26, 2024, around 1:30 am. The cause of the incident was a container ship that lost power and went crashing into the bridge. Six men ended up in the water. Three have been rescued, but three construction workers are still considered missing.

The Baltimore Bridge, also known as the Key Bridge, was made on March 23, 1977. It was built to help with traffic and give a route for different vehicles carrying materials that are prohibited in tunnels. It was named after the man who wrote the “Star Spangled Banner,” Francis Scott Key. The victims of the incident were 8 men who were working as construction workers on the bridge repairing potholes. Along with the bridge, the construction workers fell into the water. Even a few weeks after the incident, there are still some bodies still missing. The bodies have been identified by the Maryland police and the missing people are Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, age 35, of Baltimore, and Dorlian Ronial Castillo Cabrera, age 26, of Dundalk. On April 5, the body of the third man was recovered: Maynor Yasir Suazo-Sandoval, age 38. They haven’t identified the fourth man who was recovered on April 16, which leaves two bodies that remain missing. 

The FBI has started a criminal investigation to look deeper into the cause of the Baltimore Bridge collapse. Baltimore Mayor Brandon M. Scott advised that the city is hiring law firms and taking legal steps to find the cause of the collapse and hold them accountable for their actions. It has also been confirmed that the National Transportation Safety Board (they investigate important and drastic transportation accidents)has gotten involved in the investigation as well.

The bridge collapsed when a contraband ship from Singapore crashed into a support pillar of the Baltimore Bridge on March 26 at 1:28 am due to an “electrical problem.” President Joe Biden has gotten involved in the matters and announced that the government is working to get the bridge up and working again. The date is still up in the air.

The Baltimore Bridge collapse was a tragic incident that changed the lives of the people around it and the people who had personal connections to the missing people. Investigations are currently underway to determine what the cause of the accident was and to hold those responsible accountable. The government is hard at work to get the bridge up and running again. This incident serves as a reminder of the importance of safety in the construction and transportation industry.