Cavelero News

The Student News Site of Cavelero Mid High School

Cavelero News

Cavelero News

Why soccer is not a sport

Elline Campbell
Soccer “player” Elline Campbell practices kicking the ball, though I don’t know what for. Photo courtesy of Elline Campbell.

Despite popular belief, soccer is just a joke that should not be recognized as a sport. People who believe soccer is a sport have an obvious lack of judgment. In this article, follow along as I, a fan of real football (American football), explain why soccer is not a sport.

The Oxford Dictionary defines sports as “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” According to this logic, soccer must meet these three requirements: it must be an activity that requires someone to put in effort and strain, it must require skill, and it must be entertaining. Unlike other sports, soccer doesn’t meet any of these three requirements. First of all, soccer does not involve physical exertion at all. Compared to American football, soccer players aren’t forced to run without any breaks. Secondly, you do not need any skill whatsoever to play soccer. You just have to kick the ball as hard as you can toward the goal, or alternatively your opponent’s face. How easy is that? Lastly, soccer is not entertaining. Watching some random players run around the field just for a game to end with a score of 0-0 sounds like the worst nightmare. American football is so much better because no one in their right mind would have the patience to watch 22 players, 11 per team, run around a rectangular-shaped field and pass the ball to each other, just to get the ball to a certain area to score points.

Fans should stop watching soccer, not that anyone watches it in the first place. Only 3.5 billion people around the world watch soccer. The most-watched World Cup match was the 2022 Qatar World Cup final between Argentina and France, with 1.5 billion viewers. On the other hand, 123.7 million fans watched the Super Bowl LVIII. Oddly, the Super Bowl has fewer viewers than the World Cup, but it is an obvious fact that the Super Bowl is simply superior.

Speaking of football being superior, Did you know that the United States has won EVERY SINGLE Super Bowl? Did you also know the US men’s national team has never won a SINGLE World Cup or even made it out of the round of 16 in the last 90 years? Ignoring how the US women’s national team has won the most World Cups out of all nations with four World Cup wins, the US has had much more success in football than in soccer. This clearly shows why the US government should put more funding into football and less into soccer because football is clearly superior.

All in all, soccer is not a sport for the following reasons: Soccer does not fit the definition of a sport, it is not very popular, and we, as a nation, would benefit more if we funded football instead of soccer.

View Comments (1)