Cavelero News

The Student News Site of Cavelero Mid High School

Cavelero News

Cavelero News

Winning Wesco: Lake Stevens finds success in Track and Field

Will we make it to state?
overview of school
lake stevens highschool
overview of school

Lake Stevens High School has an amazing track and field program with around 400 students/athletes. But will it be enough to win at Wesco and put us into Bi-districts, then to state? Many of the athletes in the top sixteen at Wesco have pushed themselves to the limit to get to this point and are competing against top athletes. But overall we all know who will be coming out on top. 

Just like any other event, sprinting is more challenging than it sounds;  one hundred meters is not that huge a task. But could you do it in 12.25 seconds? Senior and number one ranked at Wesco Jada Sarrys set this exact personal record at Wesco. Lake Stevens 4×2 did an amazing job with a time of 1:46.64, making that a new PR for the team and securing first place. Shoutout to sprinters Jada Sarrys and Kaysa Banks during the 400 meter. Sarrys finished first place overall with a new PR of 57.54, and Freshman Kaysa Banks followed in her path breaking a minute in a time of 59.71. The boys also completed very well in their events. Senior David (Boogey) Brown set himself a new PR in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.28 seconds and came in 7th place competing against other very strong runners. The guy’s 4×4 team were able to secure second place after a strong battle against Henry Jackson. 

Everyone knows the stereotype of long-distance runners, the big strong legs but super scrawny arms. This can not be said of our program here at Lake Stevens High School. All of the long-distance coaches make sure that these athletes have a fair balance of upper and lower body workouts. Junior Hallie Carol made a season record in the 800 meter with a time of 2:21.91 also securing first place in her event. Freshman Kenadie Pester ran a new PR in the 3200 meter with a time of 12:27.68 securing 7th place right behind her teammate Hallie Carol who finished with a time of 12:17.38. Junior Aries Van Straaten was the only athlete in the whole 800-meter run to finish in under two minutes, his finishing time was 1:59.74. Junior Weston Breen finished the 3200 in a time of 9:38.40, securing second place after a tough race against the best of other schools. 

Even in the jumping events, Lake Stevens found notable success.  Freshman Whitney Bird was able to jump a total of 4 feet 10 inches and secured third place. Senior Lucie Grimes got a new PR in triple jump of 34 feet and 4.75 inches also finding herself in third place. Junior Teagan Lawson competed and took first place in high jump jumping a total of 6 feet and 6 inches. Sophomore Royce Rabb competed in triple jump and got a new PR of 42 feet and 3.5 inches securing third place. 

Hurdling, jumping, AND maintaining form sounds difficult enough but having to run in between each jump is gonna be a no-go for me. While running hurdles athletes have to run a certain number of hurdles in a certain distance while maintaining good form in order to not fall.  Freshman Noelani Tupua got first place and PRs in the 110-meter hurdle and 300 hurdle. Senior David (Boogy) Brown ran a new PR in the 110 high hurdles followed closely by Steven Lee Jr.

Finally, Lake Stevens athletes succeeded in the throwing events: javelin,  shot put, and discus. Sophomore Keira Isabelle Tupua got first place in shot put throwing a total of 38 feet and 0.75 inches. Also, sophomore Kenneth Buckmiller won first place in the guy javelin throwing a total of 150 feet and 10 inches. 

Congrats to all of the athletes who made it to Bi-Districts including….

Brianna Tilghman  4X2,100, 4X1, 200

David (Boogy) Brown 100,110 HH, 300H

Amayah Pennon  4X2, 4X4

Steven Lee Jr. 110HH, 4X1, 300HH

Olivia Fast 4X2, 400, 4X4

Hudson Preder HJ, 110HH

Kaysa Banks 4X2, 4X1, 400, 4X400

Dakota Zaagman 100H, PV

Ares Van Straaten  1600. 3200

Noe Tupua 100H, 300H, 4X4

Tavion Siu 1600, 800

Jada Sarrys 4X2, 100, 400, 4X1, 4X4

Jack Korthase 4X1

Camryn Peterson 4X1

Jesse Lewis 4X1, 4X4

Hallie Carroll 800

Niko Tuor 4X1

Mia Ingram  800

Anthony Long  800

Carley Robertson  4X4

Weston Breen  3200

Maisy Wagner PV, LJ

Aiden Cox 4X4

Kyra Miesel PV

Sam Korthase 4X4

Lucie Grimes LJ, TJ

Devin Freeman 4×4?

Dara Olotu  SP, D

Easton Munger  LJ, TJ

Keira Tupua SP, D

Cody Luangrath SP

Mercer Allen SP

Kenny Buckmiller  SP, Javelin

Haylie Thomas  Javelin

Jayshon Limar  SP

Isabella Agbonselobho  TJ

Owen McGourty  SP, D

Laila Njie  HJ

Teagan Lawson  HJ

Mikayla Valm  HJ

Royce Rabb  HJ, TJ

Whitney Bird  HJ

Ethan Atha  HJ

Haddie Cesay  4X1alt, 4X2alt, 4X4alt

Ted Kuhrau  D

Joelie Touchette 4X2alt, 4X4alt

Maverick Elich  Javelin

Tatum Erickson 4X4alt

Skyler Zapffe  PV

Anthony Owen  PV

Max Hill PV

Cai Burin  PV

Brycen Conner  PV

Trevin Walker 4X4 alt

Ian Silvius 4X1 alt