Cavelero News

The Student News Site of Cavelero Mid High School

Cavelero News

Cavelero News

What to Read This Season

Books, What to Read This Season

Books really are amazing. They can be informative for projects and can also be an escape from reality when you need it. They can lead you deep into a world of dragons and goblins, or can take you back in history to the Civil War. This article will display the top books for this season, some book suggestions from me as the author, and some suggestions from our librarian, Ms. Hermes.

Eliy Arends

Top Books Checked Out at The Library Right Now 
1. One of Us is Lying by Karen Mcmamus is a book about how a character mysteriously dies after drinking a sip of water, and how everyone in the room is questioned, but one of them is hiding a secret.

2. Peak by Roland Smith is about a boy who is arrested for scaling a New York building and contemplates either fading away in Juvenile detention or going to his father’s climbing company in Thailand.

3. Komi Can’t Communicate by Tomohito Oda is a book about a schoolgirl who is anxious and not very social, but when another student befriends her, he helps her come out of her shell.

4. Slider by Pete Hautman is about a kid who wants to be a competitive eater. But when he spends two grand on his mother’s credit card, he needs to find a way to make money quickly, while taking care of his autistic brother.

5. Ground Zero by Alan Grantz is a book about a girl in Afghanistan in 2018 and a boy in the U.S who was caught in the chaos of 9/11. In some way, their lives are entwined, even though the stories of these people happen in different countries in different years.

Recommendations From Ms. Hermes
You’d Be Home By Now by Kathleen Glasgow is a book about a teenage girl who lives in a town with an opioid crisis and lives with her addicted brother.

No Brainer: Diary of a Wimpy Kid #18 by Jeff Kinney is a new book in the series about Greg Heffley and his
adventures in middle school. This time, his school is being torn down and he is being sent to a different
school than his best friend, Rowley Jefferson.

Darkhearts by James Sutter is a book about a friend group that was brought together after the death of a
member of the group. They had originally split up because they had conflicting band interests, but the death of their close friend brings them back together, and even causes a romance to blossom.

The Weight of Blood by Tiffany Jackson is a book about a girl who is a target for bullying in her small town, and
eventually, her closest secret is revealed to everyone.

Button Pusher by Tyler Page is a comic that talks about the author’s childhood and his experiences with ADHD and how he learned to best manage it.

Books I recommend
Snitch by Allison Van Diepen is a book about gang violence in schools, getting thrown into a gang, and being thrown out, and a blooming romance that happened between the main character and a male side character.

The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien is a book about a fantastic adventure that a fantastical creature called a hobbit goes on, with 13 dwarves. Their goal is to reclaim the treasure of  The Lonely Mountain, where the dragon Smaug lives and has taken over.

The Lord of The Rings Trilogy by J.R.R Tolkien is a trilogy about how a hobbit (related to the main character in The Hobbit) goes on an adventure to stop an evil force named Sauron from corrupting the world of Middle Earth. This hobbit forms a fellowship of men, dwarves, and elves, as well as other hobbits in order to go on and complete this goal.