Cavelero News

The Student News Site of Cavelero Mid High School

Cavelero News

Cavelero News

Livin’ La Vida Local

The best local hotspots in Lake Stevens for the summer
Andi Heininger
A summer day out on Lake Stevens in early July.

With summer fast approaching, students are making plans. While trips are nice, they’re expensive, so these are some local spots and activities to hit up this summer break!  From skating, shopping, and swimming, to name a few, there are plenty of options.

The most obvious and popular choice Lake Stevens has is the lake itself. Lake Stevens is packed with people of all ages, who will be trying to cool off from the sunny rays of summer. Some will be cruising through the middle of the lake, others are swimming or paddling around, but the majority are spread out on one of the four main public docks: Davies Beach, Lundeen Park, North Cove, and Sunset Cove. Not only are Lundeen and North Cove great swimming spots, but they also have playgrounds that are great for kids and well-kept grass areas, perfect for throwing a frisbee or setting up a picnic. North Cove is probably the most popular location year-round because not only is it a great lake spot, but it’s also in the middle of downtown Lake Stevens. Filled with positive energy and plenty of cool hangout spots, downtown is the center of life for Lake Stevens. 

Downtown Lake Stevens is the best spot to be all summer long. There’s always something to do, no matter the conditions. Hot day? Take a dip in the lake. Feeling hungry? Hit up some of the local restaurants or grab something to eat from Jay’s Market. Rainy as usual? Head over to the library to check out a good read. It’s packed downtown in the summer for a reason. One of the most iconic parts of downtown is the Chicken Drive-In. Not only is the food raved about, but it’s legendary chicken mascot is an infamous aspect of Lake Stevens. This 7-foot tall chicken has been the stolen prize of many Lake Stevens High School seniors’ pranks and is now a traditional part of the homecoming game every year. Another great place to grab a bite to eat is Biscuit and Bean. Their biscuits are so soft and delectable paired with their special spreads, and nothing is better to wash it down with than a cup of coffee. If you’re craving a healthier snack, there are more than enough freshly grown fruits and vegetables at the Lake Stevens Farmers Market every Wednesday from 3-7pm starting June 5 through August 28. Right in the heart of downtown at North Cove Park, the Farmers Market has local vendors with a variety of different goods, and even food trucks! One of the new ones this year is Hawaiian Shaved Ice, which previously had a store in the Lake Stevens Marketplace but was closed this past year. Locals will be thrilled to have it back! If you’re looking for a more peaceful activity to get away from all the hustle and bustle of downtown, just a short drive away is Penryn Farm where you can pick blueberries as a fun afternoon activity in the summer.

Summer is a great time to get some exercise outside, and Lake Stevens provides plenty of opportunities. Just across the trees from Cavelero is an epic skate park! Whether you’ve been skating forever or just want to give it a try, this park is the best place to head to practice and hang with friends. Prefer to be on the water? Lake Stevens has not one, but two rowing clubs that are a great way to get a full body workout while having fun. The two clubs, Lake Stevens Rowing Club and North Cascades Crew, provide adult and youth programs year-round and the Lake Stevens Rowing Club provides a youth beginners Learn to Row class to teach the basis of this intense sport. More interested in a less time demanding activity? Sign up for Lake Stevens 4th annual Lotus Run! This CRH Memorial Event is for Suicidal Awareness and provides a 10k, 5k, and 1 mile run. If you try it and want more, you can do the Aquarun(10k, 5k, and 1 mile as well) at Lake Stevens Aquafest. 

Aquafest 2024 will be July 26-28! For those who aren’t aware, Aquafest is a Lake Stevens summer festival that has been held since the 1960’s. It’s a festival for all ages and it’s great for community building. Local businesses and organizations create floats for the grand parade and there are vendors with all sorts of goods throughout Main Street. With carnival games and contests, there’s something for everyone at Aquafest. 

Summertime in Lake Stevens is more fun than any vacation (well, almost). Whether you want to be busy all summer long, jumping from one activity to the next, or you want to just spend the whole break living the lake life, Lake Stevens more than checks the boxes for the perfect summer. So find an activity that works for you this summer and enjoy the sunny weather- while it lasts.