Student Premium

Taking a look at Cavs New ASB Team

Nadia Dunson, Journalist

Photo Courtesy of Ana Joehnk

Think back to the last time you heard about a new club, had a pep assembly, or even got new school equipment. The school ASB team is in charge of all of those events. Voted upon by your student body, the president, vice president, and treasurer were all elected to represent each individual student and as they voice all our opinions throughout the school. Most of the last two months our newly elected ASB team has been preparing for elections and giving us reasons to how they could be good representatives. 

The ASB, short for Associated Student Body, is a group of student representatives elected from freshman at Cavelero Mid High School and later this year moving up to Lake Stevens High School. Each elected officer has their own responsibilities; the Secretary oversees the meetings, the treasurer keeps track of money and makes deposits, the Vice President oversees spirit assemblies/attendance info, and the President leads ASB meetings and assemblies. The school ASB team chooses a project they see fit to oversee for the entire school and they may vary from year to year.

After speaking to said people in the ASB, I learned from their perspectives what it meant to be a part of the school in such a way. In joining the ASB, vice president Ana Joenk had intentions of “making a difference and I thought the best way to do that was to find a way to be involved.” Jill De Los Angeles, president of the ASB team, stated that being president brought her closer to “helping others and helping people enjoy being here rather than just coming to school because they have to” Kennedy Mefford, the treasurer of Cavelero’s ASB team, said that being a part of the team was an exciting way to “help out the school and make it a better place. De Los Angeles said that in benefiting the school she would ensure that “every student has a voice and `make sure that they know they have an input too, and not just ASB as ASB representing the student body.”

Under this new leadership so far, the upcoming events include a movie night, prepared by leadership and funded by the ASB, a Freshman Formal, a way to celebrate the journey as the ninth graders move up to the High School. The week leading up to the Freshman Formal will have a spirit week, where leadership has created a range of different ways for students to show off their school spirit each day.