New “Don’t Say Period” bill in Florida silences young voices

Florida Republican representatives discuss new bill banning the talk of sexuality and the menstrual cycle until 6th grade

Open Image Rep. Adam Anderson, R-Palm Harbor, and bill co-sponsor, Rep. Stan McClain, R-Ocala, celebrate the passing of CS/CS/HB 1069, their bill relating to Education, on the House floor. March 31, 2023 (Credits to Representative Stan McClain photo gallery)

Camille Beeler, Journalist

Not so long ago, women had very few rights. They couldn’t vote, speak out against their husbands or get an education. Thankfully, America realized discrimination is unacceptable and began women’s suffrage. Now, Florida has taken a step backward in the forward movement towards equality by limiting important teachings of the human body.

On March 7th, 2023, Representative Stan McClain proposed a new bill limiting the discussion of the menstrual cycle (and other similar topics) until 6th grade, even though girls start their periods as young as 8 years old. Under this bill, teachers wouldn’t be allowed to teach about topics relating to periods or sexuality, meaning children before middle school won’t understand anything about their own bodies unless taught to them by their parents, and not all parents are completely comfortable with this topic. This bill, nicknamed the “Don’t say period” bill, if passed will be effective as of July 1st. 

Stan McClain shocked the entire room and the United States when he spoke the words to suggest this bill. He especially stunned everyone when he answered a question asked by Rep. Ashley Gantt, D-Miami. She asked if this bill would forbid teachers from answering questions a ten-year-old has about her menstrual cycle. He answered, “It would.” According to Representative McClain, this bill would actively prevent teachers from providing their students with reliable information.

Credits to Unsplash

On the same note, a health teacher, who wished to remain anonymous, strongly believes education on the menstrual cycle is an important educational topic. They state, “The menstrual cycle] is absolutely relevant for health class” and state that periods are a “natural and normal part of a biological female’s body”. They go on to voice the importance of letting parents choose to opt their child out of any discussions they deem inappropriate for any reason. 

“We have ten-year-olds and under starting their menstrual cycle, and that can be terrifying…they might think they are dying,” they say. “A well-developed lesson in fifth grade is not a bad idea…just explaining to young biological females how their body works…there should be no shame in that”. 

Although every bill is proposed for a reason, whether the reason at hand is a legitimate one or not is up to opinion. However, looking at the facts presented, there are concerns that this bill will not do any true good, and will instead lead to an increase in Florida’s number of uneducated young women.

Credits to Unsplash

Republican Florida state officials say this bill will allow parents to have more control over what their children are learning, but many other organizations hold the opposite view. In fact, the Twitter account of Florida Planned Parenthood replied to the proposed bill by saying, “These lawmakers are so obsessed with power and control that they are literally prohibiting young women from talking about menstruation.” 

There is a massive push to get this bill approved and in motion from Florida Republicans, even with the facts showing why the bill would do more harm than good. Let’s just let young girls discuss a normal part of life with their teachers, let them be educated and unafraid when they have to deal with menstruation.