Is the University of Washington better than Washington State University?

Clashes between WSU and University of Washington. November 21st 2022, (Jamey Vinnick AP Photo).

Isa Ha'ani San Luis, Journalist

Introduction:

If you grew up in Washington, you’re likely familiar with the clashes between the Huskies and the Cougars; two universities that are both great schools. But which is on top? Many people have a favorite school that they are also interested in going to, between both of these schools. Going into what school is the better for your interests and your own strengths. 

Financial: 

Going into University of Washington is generally a better option as far as cost. University of Washington has a lower cost of tuition after aid being 12k and for the graduation rate you are more likely to graduate than WSU. There are different statistics when it comes to the actual student lives in both of the Universities of being even accepted into them. Though WSU has a good acceptance rate, the percentage for being able to graduate is 59% and for Udub the acceptance rate is 83% but the acceptance rate is 53%.

WSU football game going against University of Washington. November 26th 2022 (Calvin Pearson AP Photo)

Sports: 

Both schools have amazing sports teams, and also have many passionate fans for both of the schools. WSU has 17 athletic programs that feature baseball, basketball, cross country, Football, Track & Field rowing, soccer, swimming, tennis, etc. They have a diverse sports program that everyone is able to try out for and also for people that are interested in watching the specific sport. Being able to watch sports they love. Additionally, University of Washington has nine men’s sports and 12 women’s sanctioned sports, so if you’re up to compete in many sports then this is where you are able to go. Both have amazing programs for athletes and fans. Also both are

most famously known for football in the fall, which some people are a fan of, showing off school spirit. Everyone is welcome to try and work their hardest to be good at what they want to be. It will depend on what sport you go out for.

WSU Pullman school campus. June 14th 2022, (Washington State Athletic Communications AP Photo).

Classes: 

Classes are an important part of a college because you are wanting to go into a specific job. With those classes they will lead up to a job that you will or have been wanting for a while, and will be working your hardest. 

Starting with WSU, they have a wide variety of majors, minors, and in-major specialization. Those will determine what you are interested in, and your greatest strengths towards those classes. They offer 95 majors, 86 minors, and 100 in-major specialization. Also it will determine what your degree is. The most taken courses at the school are: Business, Management, Marketing, and related support service. Those are only a few of the most popular majors at WSU, but also everyone has their own plan for what they want to be when they grow up. Professors will work their hardest to support their students so they graduate giving key details about what they are learning. You are also able to take online courses if you are not able to go during a certain circumstance. You can go both online and in person on the campus, on campus full time, or online full time.

Both schools have the same variety of classes. University of Washington has 180 majors that have a wide variety for anyone that is interested in a specific course. University of Washington is known for courses: Social Science, Computer and Informational Science, and Support Service. The University of Washington also having a medical center that is known for: medicine, engineering, nursing, law, etc.. They cover the basic and more interesting classes that will fit what you want to be when you’re older. Each clase does have a price for it but if you really want to go for a certain degree then it will be worth it in the long run.

WSU and UW, both have great programs for anyone who is interested in a certain degree for the future that will help them. It will depend on your interests and your strengths in each course and subject. Not everyone has the same strengths and interests as you. 

University of Washington campus. March 15th 2022 (Charlotte Schubert AP Photo).

Conclusion: 

All in all, both of the schools are really good universities. Both offer a great education for whoever wants to go to WSU and UW. It really just depends on if you want to be a cougar or a husky, or as others say it depends on which offers the best for yourself personally. Personally for me, I would go to UW, just because it is closer and offers a good program for future courses and sports. Obviously you can’t guarantee your acceptance to either school,, so ultimately, applying to both schools wouldn’t be a bad idea. Going into the schools with your own strengths and weaknesses, of what you are really good at and what you are not good at so well. You have enough time to decide which school you really want to go to, it just always depends on what school you are really interested in going to.