Is Homework Beneficial?

Exploring the benefits and downsides of homework being assigned in classes

Adama Jaw, Journalist

Homework is something we have all had at some point in our lives. Some classes assign more than others, while some classes give 2 or 3 pages of it,  Others give online homework. If you’re one of those blessed people who are in a class that does not have any at all, you don’t have to stress about getting it finished and turned in for a grade. Let’s talk about some reasons why it can be both helpful and not so helpful.

Homework can be suitable for children because it encourages students to practice what they learned in classes. Oftentimes you will hear the phrase “repetition sticks with people.” That’s what homework is doing.” by having students repeat the topic that they have learned in class”, they will be more likely to remember said topic, and maybe even teach what they have learned to an absent classmate.

Additionally, homework gets parents involved with their child’s school life by helping their child with homework it shows what the child is learning when there gone for about six-ish hours. It makes them take part in their academic success, and also provides a chance to connect with their children. From that experience, a parent can learn ways to help their child succeed in life. 

It’s equally as important to remember that too much homework can cause overdue assignments, which can quickly lead to stress. Numerous research reports have concluded that stress is not good for a child. if they are stressed that can lead to them not getting the necessary amount of sleep needed, not enough sleep leads to you getting sick, which can lead to more homework and school work piling up and so the system repeats itself.

An additional reason would be that it would not be beneficial to a child’s socialization skills. Often, a parent will not let their child hang out with their friends if their homework is not done, and for teens, their parents would most likely take their phones so they are not tempted to text their friends and get distracted from the task at hand, this can cause teens to resent their homework and maybe even their parents, and for kids that just get them upset they start to pout and maybe start to argue with their parents, that can cause a child to say things that they don’t truly know or mean to say when that happens it causes tears in the relationship between a parent and their child. 

In conclusion, I believe that while homework is not entirely a bad thing, it can be when a student is given too much of it, and as we have all heard, too much of anything can be a bad thing.