Teen employment is becoming more common.

Why have jobs started hiring teens at younger ages? Is it because of money inflation or simply because kids just want jobs?

Photo courtesy of Blake Tannen

Explorers for the LSPD were giving out candy at the Lake Stevens Harvest Fest.

Mcdonald’s, Pizza Hut, Baskin Robbins, Chick-fil-A, Dairy Queen, Kroger. These are all places that hire teens at the age of 14. As child labor laws get tested by the minute, there are some teens that feel pressured to get jobs. It could be the economy that is making kids feel like they need to get jobs at a younger age or they could just want some extra money.

Teen employment has risen from 54.4% to 55.3% in just the span of one year, according to a study from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. In July 2022, it stated that only 8.5% of teens were unemployed, far less than the year prior being at over 10%. This could be because the unemployment rate is high for adults in some countries, which gives younger teens a higher chance to get hired because of staff shortages. 

The reasons as to why teens need or want jobs can vary. Some people simply just want jobs, either they’re inspired by someone or they just want the experience. “My dad is a cop and that motivated me but he never tried to force me,” stated Cavelero student and explorer for the Lake Stevens Police Department, Blake Tannen. He also claimed that it wasn’t the money he was interested in, instead he wanted the experience. Instead of feeling pressured by family or money he wants to work in order to get more experience as a police officer. 

Explorers for the Lake Stevens Police Department, from left to right: Jayce Arce, Alyssa Norgaard, Leyna Valvick and Seth Haack. Photo courtesy of Blake Tannen

Sometimes students don’t feel that they have a choice when it comes to getting a job because of issues at home, family, or maybe it’s just the environment. After asking Cavelero student Al Musquiz about feeling pressured, he explains that his dad doesn’t pressure him into getting a job at all. On the other hand, his mom does. It all depends on the person as everyone has different views on jobs and what age would be good to start looking. Money for him isn’t a problem, instead it’s due to pressure from family.

Other people don’t feel the need to get a job, whether it is because they don’t need it or they don’t care for it. “I don’t want a job and I think I’m too busy for one,” said Cavelero student Isabelle Garrett. “My mom doesn’t want me to get a job right now, she wants me to focus on school.” Most students can’t find the time for the job as it would be too difficult to juggle school  work and other after school activities. So the best option for them would be to wait until time clears up. 

Seeing as people have different opinions and views on students getting hired, the main reasons for it seems to be because there are less adults working or just wanting experience for future jobs. Considering there are more teens working now than before, if they are ready and can manage their time between school, home, and work, then it will really benefit them in the long run.