Who is Dr. Sellers?

An introduction to Cavelero’s new principal!

Who is Dr. Sellers?

Nara Mapp, Journalist

Many students don’t know how to feel when it comes to new principals, mostly because they don’t have the time to get to know them and the type of person they are. This article will go over who Dr. James Sellers is, his background, and some fun facts.

Dr. Sellers moved from Texas to Lake Stevens, WA during the month of July 2022. After two months of administering Cavelero Mid High School as a principal, Dr. Sellers states that he enjoys working with the students and staff daily.
“I’m so glad we are able to have real school after all the virtual school we had,” says Sellers. He also brought up the teachers he’s met here in Washington, claiming that they are very kind and he can tell they love kids.

Dr. Sellers didn’t see himself working as a principal for a career when he was younger. He worked as an English teacher for 20 years and a gymnastics coach for 14 of those 20 years in Texas, before being hired as a principal at Cavelero in June 2022.
“I love young people, that’s what inspires me. Friends will say, ‘Kids these days,’ and I’ll always argue, ‘Kids are always kids forever’ . . . It’s just so cool to work with young people as they decide where they’re going to go and be as adults.” Dr. Sellers also says that being a principal at Cavelero is ‘hectic but fun’, since there is a lot going on in the school every day.

5 fun facts about Dr. Sellers:
1. Dr. Sellers is married and the father of three children.
2. He owns two pets, a large Australian Shepard named Snoop (like Snoop Dogg, get it?), and a young white cat named Peaches.
3. Dr. Sellers is the only member of his family working at a school district.
4. In 1993, Dr. Seller’s gymnastics team won the Texas State Championship.
5. In case you were wondering, yes, Dr. Sellers is a doctor. He recently received his doctorate, meaning he has the most advanced degree that anyone can get in an academic discipline.
(An academic discipline or academic field is a subdivision of knowledge that is taught and researched at the college or university level).

“I encourage all of our staff and students to continue to be kind, be safe, be responsible, and I don’t say it often, but just be awesome. … I want everyone to realize the light that they have inside of them, the talents that are in them, and just really shine that light on the great things we all have going for us.” -Dr. Sellers